What is a Full Stack Developer / Engineer?
FULL STACK DEVELOPER is an engineer who works on both server-side and client-side of a software application.
This type of developer works on the Full Stack of an application that means Back-end languages, Front-end technology, Server, API, Database and Version Controlling Systems. Thus, the name is “Full Stack Developer”.
Full Stack Developers and Engineers are not master in all programming languages. Rather they have a solid proficiency in one or more these languages. They have a clear understanding how front-end and back-end technologies need to integrate and work together efficiently.
That’s why, using their wide range of techniques, they can make a design for a product very rapidly. They have an active mind set and broader angle of views. They are more sensitive to the techniques and have an own opinion towards the design or product.
They can provide help to everyone in the team. They reduce the time and technical costs. Some of them may become technical partners in start-up companies.
Stack Overflow Survey about Developers’ Profiles
Software Stack | what should I learn?
A collection of programs used to produce specific results is called Software Stack. It involves an Operating System and its applications.
For example, a smartphone software stack includes OS with its phone app, web browsers and default applications.
To become a Full Stack engineer, you need to master a software stack based on your career goals, project and company requirements.
Here is a list of popular software stacks:
- LAMP Stack
It is a widely used model of web service stacks. Its name “LAMP” is an acronym of four components:
- L = Linux, an open source operating system
- A = Apache, widely used web server software
- M = MySQL, popular open source database
- P = PHP, open source server-side scripting language
- MERN Stack
- M = Mongo DB, no SQL database
- E = Express, Easy to use and portable web framework
Job Duties for a Full Stack Developer
- Translate user requirements into overall architecture
- Implementation of new systems
- Project management
- Coordination with client
- Write back-end code using Python, Java, Ruby and PHP languages
- Understand, create and debug database queries
- Create the test code to validate application against client requirements
- Monitor the performance of infrastructure
- Monitor the performance of web applications
- Troubleshooting web application with a fast and accurate resolution
Full Stack Developer Salary in U.S and U.K
Myths about Full Stack Developer / Engineer
Myth: A full stack developer writes all types of code by themselves.
Fact: He / She may know different technologies but not write code on each.
Myth: Write both front-end and back-end codes.
Fact: Full Stack Developer is a master of a few stacks and is comfortable with the rest. Due to this, a Full Stack Developer can rapidly create a prototype or design as compared to a back-end or front-end engineer.
According to Gladwell’s 10,000 hours of law, it will take 10 years to master the front-end, back-end and client-oriented knowledge to be a full stack developer.
Therefore, the full stack development is by no means to accomplish overnight. What you need to do is building the technical foundation, strengthen the core skills and keep learning for more challenges.
Subscribe to FinsliQ Blog:
If you have enjoyed and find our blogs informative, then please support the platform by subscribing to our daily newsletters. Benefits of becoming a subscriber:
- Get daily updates with the latest blogs/article
- New updates within the same subject area are release every day (release dates can be found next to the link in the blog)
- Stay up to date with the latest Tech news
- Variety of different types of blogs
Visit FinsliQ | Tech Academy. A variety of course are available in cloud computing, Dev-ops, Cloud Architecture, Cyber Security and much more.