What Skills are required for a Full Stack Developer?
The concept of a full stack developer can be confusing, we will look into ‘What Skills are required for a Full Stack Developer?’
A qualified full stack developer should have comprehensive knowledge and capabilities for all aspects involved in developing a software application.
Here is a skills set for Full Stack Developer:
1. Front-end Technology
Using HTML, FSD has to define the structure of web pages. For effective presentation of HTML elements, they should be proficient in CSS.
An extensive knowledge of this domain helps FSDs in creating an interactive and engaging front-end for web based applications.
2. Back-end Technology
To be a full stack developer, knowledge of back-end development languages such as SQL, PHP and JS etc. is must. The more you know: the better.
Back end development is a whole different game; there is plenty of programming languages to choose from. A Full Stack Developers must know at least following languages for back end development:
- PHP: It is an open-source and cross-platform scripting language that can work on Windows, mac OS and UNIX.
- Ruby: It is a robust programming language. An active community of developers backs it. Excellent documentation and dependencies make it an ideal choice for back end development.
- Java: It is a multi-purpose programming language used for web, mobile and desktop application development. This language has a wide range of frameworks that simplify the process of back-end development.
- Python: This top programming language has English-like syntax and a vast range of frameworks and libraries. Hence, making it an ideal language to learn by developers around the globe.
3. Database and cache
Another important need for FSD is the knowledge of various DBMS technologies. For this purpose MySQL, Mongo DB, SQL Server and Oracle are widely used.
Knowledge of caching mechanisms like Memcached, Varnish and Redis is a plus.
A Full Stack developer must know the following things about database storage and management:
- Characteristics of Relational and Non-relational data
- Knowledge of web storage
- Knowledge of No SQL databases
4. Basic Design Ability
To become a FSD, the knowledge of designing is also recommended. The person should know the principles of basic prototype design and UI / UX design. They must know how to build a neat, user friendly and responsive design that wins the heart of users.
Exposure to handle Apache or nginx servers is desirable. A good background in Linux OS helps in administering servers.
6. Version Control System (VCS)
A VCS system allows full stack developers to keep track of all the changes made in codebase. The knowledge of Git helps FSD to understand how to get the latest code, update parts of code and make changes in other developer’s code without breaking things.
7. Working with REST and SOAP APIs
For full stack developers, knowledge of web services or API is also important. A hands-on experience of creation and consumption of REST and SOAP services is also desirable.
A full stack developer should master HTTP as well.
8. Other pieces of puzzles
A full stack developer should have ability to write quality unit tests. He should have a comprehensive understanding of automated processes that are used for building testing, document and deploying it.
Each layer has its own vulnerabilities, so, an awareness of security issues is also important.
For professional full stack developers, knowledge of Algorithms and Data Structures is also essential.
9. Soft Skills
Technical skills are not enough to become a Full Stack Developer. You may also require following soft skills:
- Good time management
- Analytical mind
- Attention to detail
- Creative vision
Full Stack Developers are highly skilled persons who can handle everything related to software application development. This Skill set distinguishes Full Stack Developers from Front-end and Back-end Developers.
There will be an elaborate blog coming in the near future in reagards to ‘What Skills are required for a Full Stack Developer?’ hopefully this blog gives a better understanding on the skills required to become a full stack developer.
Learn about the job role of Full Stack Developer / Engineer
Subscribe to FinsliQ Blog:
If you have enjoyed and find our blogs informative, then please support the platform by subscribing to our daily newsletters. Benefits of becoming a subscriber:
- Get daily updates with the latest blogs/article
- New updates within the same subject area are release every day (release dates can be found next to the link in the blog)
- Stay up to date with the latest Tech news
- Variety of different types of blogs
Visit FinsliQ | Tech Academy. A variety of course are available in cloud computing, Dev-ops, Cloud Architecture, Cyber Security and much more.